So, if you haven’t noticed, I’ve done a little work around the ole’website. While I still have some links to add – so you can get from one page to the others more easily, this is what I’ve been working on recently (when I probably should have been writing). It was something that was past due time, and was more of an issue than I’d expected it to be.
A year or more ago, when my lovely partner in all things and I founded 721publishing, she wanted to do the website design. I said okay, and she invested in EverWeb, which is a website development program with hosting options. It was decent looking, and with the hosting attached it seemed pretty straightforward to use. She had a history of bad luck with hosting sites, and was comfortable with it, so I let her have at it.
When the time came for me to redo my sites, I went to EverWeb – I mean we were paying for yearly licensing and hosting, so why not. I was, less happy with it. I’d been using WordPress (both .com and .org), and knew that change was going to be hard, but I increasingly found that EverWeb just didn’t do the things I wanted it to do. So I started using small WordPress modules and pages to make up for the lack, and the realized I was just being stupid and should do the whole thing in WordPress to keep it simple.
Which meant, of course, that the couple weeks I’d spent building a site in EverWeb was totally wasted and I had to start over. I’d wanted the new site up by January 1st, and that date was already past, so I just worked on getting a framework up in WordPress, linked to the .com blogs that were already live (which saved me server space) and launched the whole thing – which seems to have worked.
I still want to add direct links between the pages (right now you have to go back to the home page), and have some better content (besides stuff like this), but I also have two WIP and want to get back into freelance writing (and some photography), so I have a lot on my plate. Or computer. Computer plate.